OMG 2, the comedy-drama film starring Akshay Kumar, Pankaj Tripathi and Yami Gautam, has been a huge hit at the box office since its release on 11 August 2023. The film, which deals with the issue of sex education in Indian schools, has received critical acclaim and positive reviews from the audience. However, the film also faced several hurdles from the CBFC (Central Board of Film Certification), which asked for many cuts and modifications before giving it an A certificate.
CBFC’s objections and cuts on OMG 2
In an interview with PTI, director Amit Rai revealed, “We were heartbroken because we made the film for everyone to watch, now that cannot happen. We begged them to give us a U/A certificate (children below 12 years of age can watch a film under parental guidance) but they didn’t. We tried to convince them till the very end… But then they walked some distance, we walked some distance. The film has been released with modifications…”
Some of the scenes that were cut or altered include:
- The scene where Akshay Kumar’s character, who plays Lord Shiva’s messenger, appears in a condom advertisement.
- The scene where Pankaj Tripathi’s character, who plays a devout follower of Lord Shiva and a shopkeeper in a temple premises, sells condoms to his customers.
- The scene where Yami Gautam’s character, who plays a lawyer defending Tripathi’s case in court, questions the judge about his sexual knowledge and experience.
- The scene where Tripathi’s son, who is expelled from school for masturbating in the bathroom, is shown watching porn on his laptop.
- The scene where Tripathi files a case against his son’s school and other parties for not providing sex education to students and spreading misinformation and misguidance.
- The scene where Tripathi delivers a powerful speech in court about the importance of sex education and challenges the orthodox views of society.
However, now the film has crossed Rs 120 crore at the domestic box office and has garnered immense acclaim from the critics and audiences. Talking about the same, Amit shared, “We are happy people have loved the film. The intent of the film was pure. Nobody wanted to titillate the audience, hence they liked it. We have dealt with it (the story) in a way that doesn’t sound vulgar. We talk about the reality, but in a sweet and humorous way.”
Akshay Kumar’s OMG 2: Uncut version to release on OTT platform
Rai revealed that they have decided to release the uncut version of OMG 2 on an OTT platform soon. He added, “We have decided that we will show the original film (on streaming), a film that the censor never wanted people to see, but… The public has seen the film and given their verdict. If the censor board doesn’t understand it, what do we say?”
Earlier, in a theater visit to gauge audience reaction, Akshay had expressed his disappointment at CBFC’s decision and also took a sarcastic dig by saying, “The funny thing is that this is the first adult film which is made for teenagers.”
OMG 2 is a spiritual sequel to OMG – Oh My God! (2012), which also starred Akshay Kumar and dealt with religious issues. OMG 2 is produced by Cape of Good Films, Viacom18 Studios and Wakaoo Films. The film has grossed over ₹160 crore (US$20 million) worldwide, emerging as the eighth highest-grossing Hindi film of 2023.
Stay tuned with us for latest news, Hindi box office news, Hollywood news, OTT news, latest bollywood news and latest box office news.